Saturday 9 February 2013

Packing, planes and taxis



So after 3 weeks off work we finally decided to pack on Thursday, the last day before we set off on our little adventure. Looking at my bag, I thought there was no way that everything was going to fit in, yet my powers of shrewd packing were up to the task. Funnily enough I still had room in my backpack, which Jen swiftly ¨shotgunned" for her stuff. Seems she doesn't have the shrewd packing skills I possess. 



After a tiring day of packing and ensuring we had everything ready to go, we finally hit the bed at 11.30pm and awoke at 3.30am to make our way to the airport (thanks to Jen's mum for the lift!). 

A short 2 hour flight landed us in Lisbon, followed by 3 hours of me whooping Jen's arse at shithead (card game for those who don't know). Then onto our mammoth flight of 10 hours which was delayed by an hour straight away. This was made bearable by the on board entertainment, including 'Taken 2' which helped me learn the Spanish word for 'shit'. Added bonus was Jen watching her own films with headphones so I didn't even have to speak to her, they'll be plenty of time for that over the next 6 months!

I also watched 'The Watch' which was pants and it was dubbed with Vince Vaughn saying "You gotta be shirting me?!"

We touched down in Rio at 11.30pm local time (1.30am to you slackers) and made our way to find our pre booked taxi. We somewhat struggled with this until we found the chap holding a sign with the name "Jorge Rogers" going to our hostel, sorry Jorge if you actually exist as we took the taxi.

The taxi man turned out to be a nutter weaving in between cars at quite a speed, running straight through red lights and generally not really knowing where he was going. He scared the shirt out of us. 

At 1.30am local time we sang to ourselves:
I said to the cabbie, go home smell you later. 
Looked at my kingdom, I was finally there,
to settle my throne as the prince of Rio de Janeiro (that rhymes as its actually pronounced 'Jah-Neir')

All was not lost though in our state of absolute exhaustion, look who was on the hostel toilet door!



Peace out, Jack

1 comment:

  1. I had a specially commissioned toilet roll of Chuck's face flown out to Rio so that you and your fellow Narnians could smear your shit over his face which scientists believe would improve his looks by no less than 186%

    ReplyDelete